Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Weigh-In Wednesday #5

Last week's eating was better than the previous week's, but I still ate more "bad" stuff than I should have. This week should be easier since we're back to a regular schedule and won't be eating out so much. That's such a huge temptation for me, all that delicious food with untold calories and fat. It's so hard to choose a salad when there are so many other great things on the menu. I love salads, but sometimes you just need want something more...

I got more exercise over the last week than I normally do. I was more committed to my morning exercise routine than I had been. I think I only missed one morning. Monday afternoon, the boys and I went out to the greenbelt by our neighborhood so they could ride their scooters and I could walk. I didn't get to do much fast walking, but it was still good to get out of the house. Yesterday afternoon, the boys and I met some of our friends at a local park. After they left, the boys rode their scooters around the pond and I got to get in a fairly brisk walk. I'm looking forward to nice spring weather so we can get out more.

I got confused today when I was walking my laps around the track. I think I was so focused on listening to my music and keeping the pace that I walked an extra lap. My "mile" ended up being 18:43, but I know I walked as fast as I usually do. I'll be glad when I can walk the outside track again. I know it's just two laps to get my mile done there and I don't have to worry about if I walked 8 or 9 laps and just how many more I have left to go. Between sets of weights I walked an extra half-mile. At least I think I did. My time was 9:15, which would equate to an 18:30 mile. I know I was doing better than that, though. I'll just have to be more conscientious of my laps next week. Now I'm wondering if I was ever doing as well as I thought or if I was just leaving off a lap because it's too hard to count 10 of them.

My workout was good. I tried increasing the weight on some of the machines, but my muscles gave out before I completed my 15 repetitions. I was halfway into my second set on the circuit when I noticed the additional 5-lb. weights you can add to the load. Aaaahhhh. I'll have to try that next time instead of increasing by 10 pounds.

When I stepped on the scales after my workout, I just knew my weight would be down again after last week's jump. I was wrong. It was up another half-pound: 160.5. I know muscle weighs more than fat, and I'm trying to convince myself that that's what's going on right now. But I want to see those numbers going down each week, not going back up. I've decided I need to find my tape measure and take some measurements so I'll have another way of checking my progress since the numbers on the scales are deceiving me right now. At least I hope that's what's going on. My clothes are fitting a little looser and a few people have commented that I look like I've lost some weight, so at least those positives are going for me right now.

This week I'm going to be more conscientious about what and how much I eat, as well as getting in more exercise. Hopefully we can make a few more trips to the greenbelt or the park. That's easier - and more fun - than crunches and lunges and squats. Oh, my!

No comments: