Thursday, February 28, 2008

Idol 20: Girls' Round 2

While the guys' performances were mostly mediocre, with a couple of true stand-outs, most of the girls' performances really fell flat.

1. Carly Smithson - "Crazy on You"
What a way to start! Regardless of all the hoopla surrounding Carly's previous record deal, where she flopped immensely, I think she's got a great voice. She chose a big song (anything by Heart is big!) and did a great job with it. I'd say she had the second best performance of the night.

2. Syesha Mercado - "Me and Mrs. (Mr.) Jones"
I wasn't so impressed with her this time around. She's got a good voice, but that was not a good song for her. (That's besides the fact that I don't like that song.) She really needs to pick it up next week. I'm sure she'll be around.

3. Brooke White - "You're So Vain"
I liked the start of her song, with her playing acoustic guitar. At times she even resembled Carly Simon. Then she stopped playing during the middle. You could still hear the guitar from someone in the band, but what happened with her? Then she started back up and I really couldn't tell the difference. Was she actually playing? Her singing was good, but the whole guitar thing was distracting. I'm surprised the judges didn't say something about that. I would rank her higher this week, but the guitar bothers me. I hope she doesn't use it any more, or at least plays the whole song if she does.

4. Ramiele Malubay - "Don't Leave Me this Way"
I think she had the best performance of the night. I wasn't so sure when she started out, though her voice sounded good. She really powered through to the end. She kept sounding better and better, and she hit all the notes. She's my top pick of the girls, I think. Her hair bothered me last night, but that's minor... :o)

5. Kristy Lee Cook - "You're No Good"
I'm not wild about this song, but she did a good job with it. She was good last week, but this week was better. Like Simon said, I'd like to see her give country music a try.

6. Amanda Overmyer - "Carry On Wayward Son"
This is such a great song - and she butchered it. She never did hit the right note and sang the whole song in too low a key. It was painful to watch. She can dance, but she can't sing and last night proved it. She needs to either go totally blond or totally black because this "Bride of Frankenstein" look isn't cutting it. She looked much better in her video clip with the bandanna tied around her hair. I really think she's going home this week.

7. Alaina Whitaker - "Hopelessly Devoted to You"
I love Grease, but I can't stand this song. There were too many off notes, especially during the chorus. I don't think she has what it takes to make it to the Final 12.

8. Alexandrea Lushington - "If You Leave Me Now"
I really liked her last week, but this week, not so much. This song did nothing to show her voice. The judges keep calling these types of songs "safe" songs. Maybe it's safe as far as the singing of them goes, but as for the hearing, they're dangerous. I hope she sticks around another week so she can remind me why I liked her so much last week.

9. Kady Malloy - "Magic Man"
Another Heart song, but not another great performance. She was off-key too much, which made me cringe since I love this song. I wasn't impressed with her last week, either. She needs to stick with opera.

10. Asia'h Epperson - "All By Myself"
Here's another song I don't like so much. I didn't like her start, but the middle of her performance was better, even though leading into it either her voice or her mic cut out. The end was really good. I was glad she could hit the right notes and hold them.

I know I'm waffling on the girls, but only a few really stand out for me. Here are my current top 6: Ramiele Malubay, Carly Smithson, Kristy Lee Cook (newly added), Brooke White (newly added), Syesha Mercado, and I'm torn between Alexandrea Lushington and Asia'h Epperson. (I mistakenly put Alaina Whitaker in my list last week instead of Asia'h. Too many A's, I guess.)

My pick to go home this week: Amanda Overmyer and Kady Malloy.

No comments: