Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Superbowl Snacks

It's Wednesday! That means it's time for another "Oh, How Pinteresting!" post. I've joined several other Pinterest-fan bloggers at The Vintage Apple, where you can see what other goodies people are pinning these days.

Superbowl weekend is always busy for us. Family will be in town for Jacob's birthday, and our church always has the AWANA Grand Prix on Superbowl Sunday. With all that going on, there's no time to plan or host a party, and we never know of any friends who are hosting one. Instead we stay home and watch the game and have our own little family party, complete with fun Superbowl snacks for supper.

I'll be looking over my Happy-tizers and Snack Time! boards over the next few days to decide what snacks we'll be enjoying this year. Here are a few things I'm considering.

Little Smokies with BBQ Sauce
No question about it. My family has to have these.



Skinny Baked Mozzarella Sticks
Ooooh! I'm a sucker for mozzarella sticks, but they're so bad for you. Until these!



Pizza Pinwheels
The linked recipe is for pepperoni filling, but you can make it with whatever you like. I'm thinking veggie pizza pinwheels...



Hot Corn Dip
We've got to have a dip!



Apples with Salty Caramel
And for dessert...



Okay, maybe another dessert, too...

Chocolate Lava Cake - which will be leftover from Jacob's family party #1 on Saturday. (There's no pin because there's no picture. I can't believe I haven't taken one before! I'll remedy that this weekend, though. You'll be amazed at how quick,easy, and delicious this cake is!)

I'm always looking for more great snack-type recipes for parties/gatherings. What have you found?
__________________________________

For various reasons, I wasn't able to make all the things on this list. Here's what we ended up having:

Little Smokies with BBQ Sauce: A+
These are always a hit and always great! We had a few left over, so the boys will be enjoying them with today's lunch.

Skinny Baked Mozzarella Sticks: C-
I had high hopes for these, but I was not impressed. They made me really miss the traditional deep-fried mozzarella sticks. If I had to choose between eating the skinny baked ones whenever I wanted or never eating cheese sticks again for the rest of my life, I'd have to choose never eating them again. The only reason I'm giving them a C- is because the boys liked them. Of course, they prefer the "real" ones, too, but they didn't think these were so bad. I won't be making them again.

Hot Corn Dip: A
Billy and I loved this dip! It wasn't hard to make, and it tastes great! Jacob thought it was okay, and Caleb, who was looking forward to it more than any of us, didn't like it at all. He couldn't pinpoint why, but I'm thinking maybe it was a little too spicy...? (I didn't actually measure my ingredients; I eye-balled and guesstimated everything...) I will definitely be making this again, but more for a group instead of just the family.

Roasted Cauliflower: B
Usually I would give this an A+, but this time, for some reason, it just didn't brown and crisp like it usually does. Of course, I did try to roast the florets from two heads this time instead of just one. I think that was probably the biggest factor. It was the only thing I did differently. One head is not enough, but two heads are evidently too much. As long as I heat up the leftovers on a baking stone in the toaster oven, they should be just as tasty as usual.

Guacamole: A
Billy and I love the store-bought guacamole we get from ALDI. It's fine straight from the package, but Billy usually doctors it up a little with a little lemon juice and some finely diced onion and fresh jalapeƱo. I'm looking forward to snacking on the leftovers with some chips - and spread on my turkey sandwich!

Chocolate Lava Cake: A
This is a family favorite, but I'm thinking of tweaking it a bit. I think 5 scoops of icing makes too much of a runny mess. The next time I make it, I'm going to see how 4 scoops does.

4 comments:

Cindy Swanson said...

Wow, Ashley...these all look amazing! My husband is crazy about those lil smokies! Glad you're joining the link-up.

Notes in the Key of Life

The Professor's Wife said...

Those look so good! I was just reading the other day in a books called "Nourishing Traditions" how cheese is good for you :). The caramal apples look beautiful.

julie said...

Hi :) I've been popping in here off and on...considering rejoining the blog world again myself. Come visit me at www.yettobeme.wordpress.com when you can! I love the food pics for your Super Bowl meal. Makes me hungry right now looking at them!

Ashley said...

Cindy - My boys are crazy about those lil' smokies, too! I've enjoyed participating in the link-up - and it's a great way to encourage my blogging again!

Andrea - They ARE beautiful - but I decided I wasn't going to go all out with presentation for just us. :o) It ended up not mattering, though, because where shopped today didn't have any caramel. We won't be doing the caramel apples this time, but I think we have enough variety that it won't really matter.

Julie - I'll definitely come visit you! My menu has changed a bit, based on what I did and didn't find at ALDI today, but it's still all fun stuff!