Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Pinterest Peeves

As I was browsing some pins this morning, I got irritated with something I saw in someone's pinning. That got me thinking about other things on there that bother me.

1. Pinning everything to the same board.
(Or just pinning things to the wrong board. Consistently.)
It drives me nuts when someone pins everything to one board. If you don't have much and you don't have a specific board, that's fine. But don't pin food, decorating ideas, crafts, jewelry, etc., to a board called "Books Worth Reading"!

2. No descriptions.
Don't put a dot or two or three in the description space. Or a smiley face. I know it's not always easy to find something to describe the pin, but come up with at least one word. I find it hardest to describe photographic images that I'm repinning, but I try to find something to say about it, even if it's "beautiful" or "funny". Words of inspiration can also be hard. Find one or two words to sum it up.

And if the pin is a craft idea or something with a process, don't write "I can do this!" or "This is so easy!" Describe what the craft is. Tell me that it's a way to recycle old candle wax, or that it's a math game for kids.

3. Lengthy descriptions.
I'm likely to not repin anything if the description is a long, drawn-out set of instructions on how to make something. I don't feel like reading all that, and when I'm ready to do whatever that pin is depicting, I want instructions from the source. If you're the source, blog about it - or shorten the description.

4. Not changing the description to fit your circumstances.
It drives me batty when I see someone has repinned something without changing the description - and it has absolutely nothing to do with them. I don't post descriptions about the daughter I don't have (though I do have a board called "If I Had a Little Girl...") - especially if someone is named. I've seen my own pin descriptions used by others who don't have boys or who don't make jewelry.

5. Grammar, punctuation, and capitalization errors - especially in the pin itself.

Yes, being a teacher, I notice those things. A lot. I've opted to not repin things I like because there's a glaring error in it. When it's in a description, I can overlook it because if I repin it, I'll correct it. If I see an error in my own descriptions, I hit the "edit" button and fix it.

I'm sure there are a few other things that get under my skin when I'm perusing Pinterest, but those are the biggies. I know I shouldn't let them bother me, but sometimes I just can't help myself. :oP

2 comments:

The Professor's Wife said...

I've never used pinterest, but I have the same pet peeve as #5 on facebook!

Unknown said...

Please keep in mind, that there are people who only Pin things for themselves, so they can find them again. I rarely consider that other people will re-pin things that I have pinned, its just for my own personal reference.