One of these things just doesn't belong: Carly Smithson, Kristy Lee Cook, Amanda Overmyer. (If you don't want to know the outcome, don't read any further...
No way Carly belonged in the bottom 3! I'm so glad she was safe after all.
Kristy Lee Cook has been in the bottom 2 or 3 every single week, with good reason. She was better this week than last, but she's still close to being on her way out.
Finally! Amanda Overmyer is gone! Maybe next week will be Kristy's finale.
I didn't feel like an Idolplay-by-play last night. I was kind of bored with the Beatles again, and overall the performances were just ho-hum. I do have a few comments, though.
1. David Archuleta has a really good voice, but he's getting predictable and boring. I'd like to see him do something else.
2. Jason Castro is also getting predictable and boring. I want to see him sing something in another style. He's not the best singer, but he's got the popular vote because of his looks and his humble, very likable, down-to-earth personality.
3. Ramiele Malubay has a really good voice, but she's playing the "little girl" act a bit too much. She needs to get back to performing music instead of performing everything else.
4. Chikezie is taking chances and pulling them off. It's fun wondering each week what he'll do next.
5. Brooke White, Carly Smithson, and David Cook are consistently good, regardless of what the judges have been saying. Brooke's got a great Carly Simon/Stevie Nicks sound going on and she's just so darn likeable! Carly has a powerful voice and just nails it week after week. David's got a great voice and he takes chances and makes changes to make the songs his own. No karaoke or cruise ship performances from him! (Yes, I know he's done rock every week, but he's varied things a lot. And I prefer rock to pop and country.)
6. The second Beatles week was boring. One week was good; two lacks creativity. Even Simon wasn't thrilled with a second week of it.
7. I think the contestants don't understand the term "song choice". That doesn't mean choosing a song because it has a special meaning for you or because it's one you've always liked. It means choosing a song that you can sing well, one that shows your range as well as your emotions. One that challenges you in a good way. There are plenty of songs I like or that have special meaning to me, but I can't sing them worth a flip. Well, I can't really sing anything worth a flip, but you know what I mean.
I hope next week gives us - and them - something more to choose from.