Friday, January 11, 2008

Not a Total Failure

I was really excited this morning about making a Mint Chocolate Fudge Cake to take on the retreat I'll be leaving for shortly. I mixed up a Chocolate Fudge cake mix from a box, following the low-fat instructions, and added a package of Andes Creme de Menthe Baking Chips - the real cause for my excitement.

Forty-five minutes later, I checked the cake. The top (bottom) had crusted over nicely with just a few cracks and it looked done, but when I put my cake tester in one of the cracks, it came out gooey. I let it bake another 4 minutes and checked again. Still a little gooey. I put it in for another 4 minutes, then went to supervise Caleb's math work.

About 2 minutes into the additional baking time, Caleb said, "What's that smell?" I told him it was the cake and he said, "It smells like it's burning!" I couldn't smell it, but I took his word for it and took it out of the oven. It didn't look burned.

After it had cooled about 15 minutes, I loosened the edges and turned it out onto the bottom of my cake carrier. Oops! About two-thirds of it came out. The bottom (top) third of the cake stayed in my pan, and it looked really gooey. I was afraid it wasn't done, but the part that came out looked fine.

I didn't want to take a horrendous cake to the retreat, so after about 15 more minutes I cut myself a slice to share with the boys. It tasted great, so I heated up my chocolate fudge frosting and drizzled it over the sorry-looking top. It doesn't look so bad now, just short and bumpy. Maybe it won't scare anyone off...

After my pan had cooled, I stuck it in the sink to soak. When I got ready to wash it, I realized the bottom (top) didn't come out because it had burned a little. The gooeyness was from all the baking chips I had put in. Yeah, I should have just put in half the bag. I'll do that next time, and there will be a next time. This is a really good cake!

No comments: