Wednesday, July 2, 2008

In the Children's Section

Caleb loves to read and has read all the Beverly Cleary "Ramona" books as well as all of the Junie B. Jones books. He read most of Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events, and will probably get back to those later. He collects The Magic Tree House and Geronimo Stilton series, so he doesn't want to get them from the library.

Two weeks ago we asked the librarian for some recommendations. He suggested The Boxcar Children, Encyclopedia Brown, and Captain Underpants. What?!? I had seen the Captain Underpants books on the shelf and wondered about them. I knew one day they would capture Caleb's attention, and what would I do? I asked the librarian if they were "okay", and he said they were mostly silly boy humor. I told Caleb to wait until I checked into them a little more, then I would let him know if he could read them. I asked several of my friends about them, and surprisingly they had all read them and loved them. Well, liked them. The kids loved them.

I relented and Caleb checked out The Adventures of Captain Underpants last Wednesday. He read it in no time and was ready for more. We went back to the library two days later so I could pick up some books that were on hold for me. Caleb checked the shelf for more of the Captain Underpants series and found books 2, 3, and 5-8. He checked them out and has since read every one. On today's library trip, he found book 4 and checked it out. He's already finished with it.

While I was looking for some easy reader books for Jacob, I came across some books from the Walter the Farting Dog series. Thankfully the boys weren't with me when I found those. I have to draw the line somewhere.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAHAHA!!! that's awesome. captain underpants & walter the farting dog?! nice. you know, they also have a book called "everybody poops". our friend, thomas, has it in his bathroom, for reading material for his guests. hahaha.

Anonymous said...

Too funny. In a toy shop window in New Orleans there is a book titled "The Gas We Pass". It has a picture of an elephant on it. I have not ventured in to read any of it yet.