Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Little Blue Ball

My workout buddy Kim called last night to say she wouldn't make it today. She had popped her knee out earlier in the day and figured it would be sore and stiff today. I was determined to go in anyway to keep in the habit.

I woke up to rain shortly before 6:00 this morning. It was raining harder when the boys and I began our school day. I was so tempted to stay in, but I knew if I did, I would feel lousy for it. As soon as we finished, we headed out. In the rain.

All the way there, I kept thinking, I should have just stayed home. The traffic on the interstate was slow, but since it wasn't at a standstill, I decided to stay on it instead of detouring and taking an extra 10 minutes or so to get there. I was already cutting it close for the boys' reservation time in the "Kids Clubhouse". Besides, since seminary students and family members aren't allowed to work out during the peak lunch hour time there, I would have to be out around 11:30. I wanted to get in as much of my hour as possible. By the time we got there, the rain had slacked up, the sky was looking a little lighter, and I was feeling better about getting out.

I stowed my purse and gym bag and headed straight for the racquetball courts, but they were both taken. I decided to bike for a while, so I rode about 3 1/2 miles (22 minutes). I had my iPod with me, so I enjoyed listening to a little Daughtry. Then I started playing through the alphabetical song list. I had noticed my heart rate had gotten up to near 130 bpm. Then a Josh Groban song came on and my heart rate dropped to 123. The next song was by Kutless, and I was soon back up to 130. My rpms varied slightly during the song changes, but not enough to really alter my heart rate. I think it was just the effect of the music. Interesting... I think I'll test it again next week.

I checked the courts again when I finished with the bike and they were empty. I went in, stored my gear in the safe box in the wall, and spent the next 20 minutes hitting that little blue ball back and forth. What a feeling! I had really been missing playing, so it was great to get in there and sweat and MOVE!

I wonder how sore I'll be tomorrow...

What Not to Say

The boys and I stopped by Wal-Mart on our way home to pick up groceries for the next week. Jacob climbed up on one of the large refrigerated bins in the middle of the aisle and studied the packages and packages of ground beef stacked in it. After looking at it a few seconds, he yelled out, "Are those worms?!?"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

... "Are those worms?!?!" -- And you should have yelled out, "Yes, get away from them!"

Love you,