Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Random Dozen - September 22

Ooooh, another Random Dozen questions to answer!

1. Have you, or has someone close to you, ever won an award for anything?
The boys have won awards for AWANA and the AWANA Grand Prix. Memaw won an award a few years ago for something senior-citizen related, I believe...

2. Who is the nearest relative to you who has served in the US Military?
Daddy served as a radioman in the US Navy during the Vietnam War. He still remembers Morse Code. :o) I believe he was on duty when the message was sent to his ship that I had been born.

At one point, his ship had a hole blown in the side of it by some mines. They had to lean the ship until they reached port for repairs.

3. Share something that stirs the patriotic spirit in you.
Lee Greenwood's song God Bless the USA always gives me patriotic chills. And when I see men and women being honored for their military service, it always brings tears to my eyes.

4. Where are you in the birth order in your family? Do you think your "placement" made a difference in your personality?
I'm the oldest, and I think it did make a difference in my personality. I read Dr. Kevin Leman's The Birth Order Book and I fit the first-born type almost perfectly. My sisters don't fit their placement, but that's also explained in the book. Makes complete sense to me!

5. Name one trait you hope you carry that was evidenced in your parents or grandparents.
Personality trait: good humor; physical trait: youthfulness.

6. If female, do you prefer wearing a skirt or pants? If male, shirt and tie or polo?
I definitely prefer wearing pants. During the summer, I almost always have on capris. I wear my nicer ones (khaki or black) to church and save my denim ones for the rest of the week. During the fall and winter, I wear flannel pants or sweats when I stay home, jeans when I go out, and corduroys or slacks to church. I did wear more skirts to church last year, though, since I got two nice pairs of boots for my birthday. Boots make all the difference for me!

7. Approximately how many times do you wake during the night? What do you do to go back to sleep?
I usually wake up at least once during the night, but sometimes more. It depends on where I am and how I feel. Most times all it takes for me to go back to sleep is to change positions. The times when I have trouble getting back to sleep, I start praying for people.

8. Share a favorite movie quote.
Just one?!? There are so many,...and it depends on the situation. :o)
Pretty much anything from Steel Magnolias; The Princess Bride has a lot of good ones, too. Since we've been watching a lot of LOTR lately, I'd have to say this one: Bilbo, to Frodo, as he's preparing to leave Rivendell: "Now here's a pretty thing!" - as he takes out the shiny mithril shirt. Another one: Gollum: "My Precious!" Also from Gollum: "Taters? What's taters?" And from Pippin: "It comes in pints?!?"

9. What is your favorite Fall candle scent?
Without a doubt, it's Yankee Candle's "Be Thankful" scent. Unfortunately I don't have one right now and it's one of the fall scents that's NOT on sale. Why not?

10. What is one Fall activity you're looking forward to?
Thanksgiving! I'm also looking forward to cooler weather, pizza nights, soup nights, flannel pajama pants, and curling up on the couch under a blanket with a good book. Why is it I can never name just one?

11. Tell us about a pleasant surprise that happened to you recently.
I don't get many surprises... Maybe when we were eating at Applewood Farmhouse Restaurant in Sevierville, TN, and the apple butter we put on our fritters was so delicious. I've never liked apple butter, but that was absolutely divine.

12. What was it like when you first met your in-laws-to-be?
Well, I officially met them at their house on New Year's Day, I believe. I was nervous and not sure how many people would be over there. There were only a few other family members over. I think Aunt Charlotte was there... We had a lot of fun, and I loved getting to see how Billy interacted with his family.

Unofficially, they scoped me out before they met me. Billy's dad came by the store where I worked because he wanted to see who Billy was dating (or preparing to date). Billy's mom saw me in the checkout line of a local clothing store a day or so before (or maybe the day of) our first date. I think she heard the clerk mention my name or something when I wrote a check... I'm a little fuzzy on all the details after 20 years. :o)

No comments: