Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Random Dozen - September 15, 2010

A big thanks to Cindy for leading me to 2nd Cup of Coffee, where I've found a great meme to help me jump start my blogging when I've hit that mental block.

Here's today's Random Dozen.
1. Do you do garage sales? If so, tell me about one great find. If not, tell me why not.
Many years ago, I would go to garage sales with my mom and one of our neighbors. It was quite a big to-do, complete with scouring the newspaper and mapping our out route the night before. I'd always come home with a paperback or two, a jigsaw puzzle or game, or some little something I could use in my future house. I haven't been since we moved to Dallas seven years ago. One of the main reasons I don't go anymore is that I don't have anywhere to put anyone else's junk. I have plenty of my own that I need to organize or get rid of. (Maybe I should have a garage sale...) However, we're having a community garage sale on October 2, so I just might make it to a few houses on my street and see if anyone has any junk I could use. Probably the main thing I'd be looking for these days is jewelry that I can rework into something new.

2. Name the last thing you fixed.
Sunday evening, my friend Christy asked me to fix a memory wire bracelet her mom had made for her. The beads on the end had slipped off and the wire was exposed, causing it to catch on her clothing. Since I didn't have similar beads to match the other end, I took the other ones off. Then I used my bending pliers to gently curl the wire around in a tight spiral. Finally I filed the rough edges. Five minutes work, tops.

3. Name your A) Favorite item of makeup OR B) Favorite tool
I have two must-have makeup items. I look completely washed out without eyeliner (right now my color of choice is violet) and lipstick.

Bonus: My favorite tools (note the plural again) are my jewelry making tools. I can't choose one favorite because I find them all necessary.

4. Which room in your home needs organizing more than any other?
My bedroom definitely needs some organizing! For a year now (since we moved in!), it's been the catch-all for whatever doesn't have a home. I have arranged a few things and gotten rid of some others since then, but I still have a few piles of junk here and there that need attention. I was going to do that this summer, but we got too busy and time got away from me. I'll put that on my fall to-do list.

5. Which room could use re-decorating?
I don't really have any room that could use re-decorating right now. Everything was redecorated when we moved. One thing that needs attention throughout the house, though, is wall art. I'm adamant about using mine and Billy's photography (or pictures of family, old and new) as our artwork, but I haven't taken the time to pick out and order what I want. Maybe I should put that on my fall to-do list as well.

6. Share something unique about your town.
My community is only four years old. Right now, it's mostly housing with one new store (a flooring store, of all things!), but the plans are for a community of over 8,000 families with schools, parks, restaurants, shopping, etc. We've lived here for a year now and we love it!

7. If you could send a one-sentence message to your great-grandchild, what would it be?
Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways, acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths."

8. Do you Facebook?
Absolutely! Probably a little too much, but that's the best way for me to keep up with my friends, especially those who have moved on after seminary.

9. Describe your favorite shoes.
My two-tone blue Speedo flip flops are my absolute favorite shoes. I wear them almost daily during the summer. When cooler weather gets here, probably my black Skechers - but it really depends on the circumstances. For church, I love to wear my boots.

10. Do you listen to more talk radio or more music radio? What kind of station is it?
I definitely listen to more music radio than talk radio. I'm usually tuned in to KLTY 94.9 - contemporary Christian. Occasionally I'll switch over to a classic rock station or to some oldies, but it's primarily on KLTY.

11. How far would you travel for a really good (favorite) meal?
Not far since I cook a lot, and I'm a good cook. Family is too far away to go for just a meal, but when we do visit, the food is always excellent. For a restaurant, maybe 30 or 40 miles. (Dallas is big!)

12. If you were totally honest with yourself (and us) what should you probably be doing right now instead of blogging?
Laundry! I have loads to do since getting back from our vacation. And since I want to get caught up this week, good-bye!

No comments: