Thursday, May 15, 2008
13 Favorite Ethnic Foods
So what happened to the Thursday Thirteen themes? I was sort of counting on that to give me an idea. Instead I had to dig deep into the recesses of my brain to come up with a topic. Thankfully last weekend wasn't so far away, and all the ethnic food we ate over the course of three days (Vietnamese and Italian on Thursday, Mexican and Texas-style BBQ on Friday, and Japanese on Saturday) is still fresh in my mind. Here are 13 of my favorite ethnic foods, in no particular order.
1. Coconut Curry Chicken (Vietnamese)
2. Lemongrass Beef (Vietnamese)
3. Chicken Enchiladas with a cheesy sour cream sauce (Mexican/Tex-Mex)
4. Spicy Beef Soft Tacos (Mexican/Tex-Mex)
5. Lasagna (Italian)
6. Steak and shrimp with fried rice and stir-fried vegetables (Japanese)
7. Chicken Souvlaki (Greek)
8. Tiropita (Greek)
9. Mandarin Chicken (Chinese)
10. Kung Pao Beef (Chinese)
11. Sesame Chicken (Chinese)
12. Hummus and Pitas (Mediterranean)
13. Jerk Chicken (Caribbean)
No, sushi isn't on the list. The one time I had it, it made me sick. I know that had more to do with the place I ate it than with sushi in general, but I wasn't wild about the texture of the rice, either. You can have mine.
I'm always in the mood to try a new kind of food, and there are several things I haven't tried yet: Thai, Indian, Korean, etc. Do you have any recommendations?