Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Random Dozen - October 12

More randomness from Linda at 2nd Cup of Coffee.

1. Is there a word which you initially mispronounced? Were the circumstances in which you made the faux pas embarrassing? By the way, that's not "foax pass." (I know you know that. Just jokin' with ya.)
I'm sure there are some words I mispronounced accidentally, but I can't think of a specific example. I know of one I probably mispronounce on purpose - and that's because I don't like the way it's usually pronounced: hydrogenated. I hate hearing it pronounced hy-DRAH-gen-a-ted. I think HY-dro-gen-a-ted sounds much better, so that's how I say it. If it's wrong, so be it. That doesn't embarrass me. I know there's another word in that category, but I can't think of it right now...

2. How do you feel about the use of texting shortcuts and trends? (ex: "I've got ur notes. Get them 2 u 2morow.")
Being a former English teacher, I can't stand texting shortcuts. Too often, that carries over into actual writing. When I see those shortcuts and typos, I cringe and take out my mental red pen. I refuse to use them. Okay, I will use LOL and BTW. They aren't gross misspellings or shortcuts. They're acronyms. :o)

3. Tell me about your high school senior picture. Please feel free to post.
My high school senior picture was probably the best school picture ever. I wasn't wearing glasses and my hair wasn't cut Dorothy Hamill-style. :oP I know I have a copy around here somewhere...

4. This was accidentally left out of the list.

5. Share a high school or college homecoming memory.
Homecoming... Well, I wasn't much of a social butterfly in high school, and our small commuter college campus didn't have homecoming. I guess my best homecoming memory would be just going to the games and cheering on our team. Watching the homecoming court was always fun. I never really wanted to be on it until my senior year, but I knew it wasn't likely.

6. Linda at Mocha with Linda wants to know: "Do you prefer sunrises or sunsets?"
While I'm up before the sunrise most days, the only window that faces east is the boys', and they're usually still asleep. (We homeschool and they don't have to get up until 8:00.) For that reason, I'd have to say sunsets. I especially like them now that we live out of the city. We see panoramic sunsets now!

7. What is something you have not done that you desire to do?
I'd like to take a photographic tour of Europe. I'd like to go on a photo safari in Africa. I'd like to take cooking classes for different ethnic cuisines.

8. If you could come back [in another life] as an animal, which would it be?
Definitely a giraffe. :o)

9. Where were you 10 years ago? Please feel free to elaborate more than just your physical location.
Ten years ago, we were living in Bossier City, LA, in a fairly new house we had built. I was a new mom, and I was teaching 8th grade science at Evangel Christian Academy, after teaching all subjects for 5 years at the much-smaller Trinity Heights Christian Academy. That was a year of many adjustments. I'd like to say I've grown a lot since then - physically (LOL!), mentally, emotionally, and spiritually.

10. When you are proven to be correct in any contentious discussion, do you gloat?
It depends on who the discussion was with. In most cases, I'd say no, but there are some people I can't help but gloat in front of. That's so wrong.

11. What is your favorite food which includes the ingredient "caramel?"
There's no one favorite, so I'll mention the ones I really like. Caramel is great with apples. I love Snickers candy bars, caramel ice cream topping, and turtles.

And speaking of mispronouncing, it drives me nuts when I hear anyone say "carmel".

12. From my 17 year-old daughter to you: "If you could be part of any fictional family, which family would you choose and why?" (She's so cute. And clever.)
I'd have to choose Karen Kingsbury's Baxter family from the Redemption, First Born, and Sunrise series. Those were some of my favorite books because the characters we so real to me. They could've been my own family. My second family choice would be the Ingalls family (even though they were fictionalized) of Little House on the Prairie because I felt like I could fit right in with them when I read those books. Not surprisingly, my choices of families are from books, not television.

I'd love to read your answers! You can leave them in my comments section or link to them in your own blog.

No comments: