Sunday, January 10, 2010

Out of the Mouths of Cubbies

Tonight during story time at Cubbies, Evie was talking about sin. The conversations that followed were hilarious and precious...

Evie: When I was 3 years old, I took a piece of candy from a store without paying for it.

Matthew: Can I have a piece, Ms. Evie?

Evie: No, Matthew. Listen to the story. Do you know what it's called when you take something that's not yours? It's called stealing. God tells us not to steal, but I stole a piece of candy.

Matthew: Did you eat it?

Evie: No, I didn't get to eat it. It melted in my pocket.

Matthew: That's funny!

Evie: No, it's not funny. When my grammy found out, I got in trouble. I was punished. I had to go back to the store and give them the candy and tell them I was very sorry for taking it without paying for it.

Matthew: Oh, I'm sorry, Ms. Evie!

(You've just got to know Matthew and hear his sweet little voice to get the full effect.)

Evie went on to talk about how Mary was going to have a baby, Jesus, and He never sinned. One of the little girls raised her hand and announced that she's never sinned. Evie told her that all of us sin, but the little girl was insistent. Rather than argue the point, Evie went on with the story...

Evie: Mary was going to have a baby.

Matthew: Audrey (another Cubbie) has a new baby at her house.

Evie: Yes, Matthew! She does! And Mary was going to have a baby, too. Jesus!

Matthew: No, her name is Lauren Elizabeth.

Evie: Yes, I know Audrey's baby sister is Lauren, but Mary was going to have baby Jesus.

Matthew: Hmmm...

You never know what these kids are going to come up with. I love my Cubbies!

1 comment:

Debra K said...

So cute! They just make you smile, don't they?