Friday, January 8, 2010

An Experiment of Sorts

Every school day, the boys have to write an entry in their journal. They each have two topics to choose from. Since Jacob is a first-grader, he's only required to write one sentence or a short list of items. Caleb has to do more, but it's a struggle to get him to write much at all.

I think I read in a magazine once about letting kids have their own blog pages where they can write whatever they want, and they can share it with extended family members. I remembered it the other day and started toying with the idea of letting the boys do it. When I mentioned it to them yesterday during school, they were both excited about it.

Today we set up their blog pages and they've each posted one entry. It's a private blog, invitation only. Currently the invitations are just to grandparents and aunts, but we might branch out a little later on and include a few of the boys friends' families.

My main goal in this is to get the boys to write more, but I have more specific goals in mind for each of them. I'd like Jacob to improve his basic skills: spelling, capitalization, and punctuation. Caleb has the basics down. I'd like him to branch out more in what he writes - to improve his sentence structure and express more creativity. I hope this works!

No comments: