Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Like Chewing on Tree Bark

When I was younger, I always had something specific I saved my allowance for. Whenever we'd make a trip to the mall, I'd make sure I had at least $1 with me so I could get my special treat. Mixed nuts. (Yes, I know. I'm weird...) I'd go up to the counter and ask for a dollar's worth of mixed nuts, then I'd munch on them as I strolled along with whoever I happened to be with.

I still love mixed nuts, though now I can't eat as much as I'd like. (They really help with packing on the pounds!) Caleb shares my love of them, too. His favorite is the Brazil nut, which was once my favorite. I was scooping out a few cashews (my current favorite) and almonds this afternoon and handed him a Brazil nut to chew on. I decided to eat one and it brought back memories. It also felt and tasted like I imagine chewing on tree bark would be. I wonder what the appeal was?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. About a year ago, I bought a package of Brazil nuts to add to my trail mix that I make. When I ate one, I wondered what the appeal was because they did taste the same. I just know I won't be buying any more.
Mama