Monday, June 23, 2008

Empty Nest?

For the last week and half, I've been hearing little bird chirps outside our front window. Every few hours or so, I'd hear what sounded like little squeaks, and after a day or so, I finally figured out what it was. There are two bushes in front of the living room. The miniature rose bush is right in front of the window, but I couldn't see any birds' nests in it. The other bush is off to the left of the window, just far enough away that I can't see into it very well, but I'm pretty sure that's where they've been.

I suddenly noticed this morning that I didn't hear anything from them at all yesterday. I recall hearing some commotion Saturday afternoon, but I was busy and didn't really think anything of it. I don't know much about birds, but it seems awfully quick for them to be flying. Of course, I don't know for sure when they hatched, either. It could've been while the boys and I were away. But now I'm wondering if some of the stray cats in the neighborhood found them. I hope not, but it's entirely possible. I've heard quite a few cat fights out front here and there in the nearly two years we've lived here.

I may have to check when I go out to the mailbox this morning...

Update (6/25/08): The birds are still there. I'm listening to them right now, and I think I can see the nest near the front of the bush to the side of the window. I'm not going to go poking around, though, because I don't want to disturb anything. I'm glad they're still around and especially that no stray cats got them!

No comments: