Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Hot Soup

I love a bowl of hot soup in the fall or winter. Campbell's had it right. Soup is good food.

We have soup nights once, sometimes twice, a week from October through March. Granted, some of the dishes aren't truly soup, but for us, they fall into that comfort food category: chicken & dumplings, red beans & rice, gumbo, chili,...

The one soup that brings back bad memories of childhood is chicken noodle soup. I always equate it with being sick. To this day, I can't eat it.

The one soup that brings back wonderful memories of childhood is Vegetable Soup. That rich, red tomato broth is chock full of bright colored veggie goodness: carrots, corn, green beans, potatoes, and green peas. (I ignored the lima beans, and now that I make it myself, I leave them out altogether.) Oooh, and sopping up all the leftover juice with a piece of hot homemade cornbread... Not Jiffy, but the real stuff, made from scratch. Second night soup is even better, after all the flavors have had time to blend...

One of my favorite soups is Baked Potato Soup. It's perfect with some crusty French bread for dipping. Or maybe it's Broccoli Cheese Soup. It's perfect with some crusty French bread for dipping. Or give me a baked potato smothered in Broccoli Cheese Soup. Crumble a little bacon on top and it gives the best of both.

Now that the weather has warmed up, I can't bring myself to eat hot soup. Cold soup doesn't sound right. I can't think of any cold soup I'd want to try. Well, maybe Strawberry Soup. I don't remember who told me about it, but I remember they loved it and had good family memories associated with it.

Hot soup days are only 4 short months away.

No comments: