Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Classical Music

Classical music always reminds me of Memaw. When I was a little girl, I would spend Friday nights at her house. I'd often wake up on Saturday mornings to the sounds of classical music playing as she'd clean house. I didn't like it then, but as I grew older, I developed quite an appreciation for it.

When the boys were babies, I'd play classical music in their rooms when they would go to sleep at night. Studies supposedly showed that doing that would sharpen the logical, mathematical parts of the brain. Both of the boys are strong in math - above their grade levels. But I'm not so sure it's because I played classical music for them when they were infants. I think it has more to do with the fact that Billy and I are strong in math.

I recently took the boys to the Dallas Symphony Orchestra. I wanted them to experience seeing a symphony play, to see the instruments being played, to hear the individual sounds they make. I wanted them to begin to develop an appreciation for classical music at an earlier age than I did. They enjoyed it, but I think I enjoyed it more. As I'd listen to some of my favorite pieces being played, I'd find myself tapping my hands or feet, smiling a goofy smile as I enjoyed the music.

I'd love to go back one day, but without the boys. They were very well-behaved on our field trip, but they admitted they had started getting bored. I don't want it to be drudgery for them. And when I go back, I want to be able to enjoy all of it and not worry about trying to keep two bored boys still and quiet.

No comments: