Thursday, June 10, 2010

Television

I wish I didn't watch as much television as I do. During the summer months, when all my favorite shows are showing reruns or on hiatus, I'm more likely to be found reading a book. But during the regular season, there are too many shows that I like to watch, including reruns of canceled favorites like Seinfeld and My Name Is Earl.

The funniest show on television right now has got to be The Big Bang Theory. Some would argue that it's The Office, but it doesn't make me belly laugh as often or as heartily. I think The Office ranks third, behind My Name Is Earl.

There are several other sit-coms I like to watch, all of them only in syndication now: The Andy Griffith Show, Leave It to Beaver, Happy Days, Friends, Everybody Loves Raymond, King of Queens, The Cosby Show, etc.

The best drama ever, hands down, is LOST. I can't think of any other show that held me captive the way that one did. We started watching the first season on DVD shortly before the fourth season aired - and we caught up in time to watch all those episodes as they were shown. Now that the show has ended, I want to go back and watch all the episodes again, in order and without all the loooonnngg time lapses between seasons. Knowing the end, I want to see the show from a different perspective.

Other favorite dramas, past and present, are ER, CSI, CSI: New York, Chicago Hope, Three Rivers (which only ran for half a season before it was canceled), and Homefront.

As for the so-called "reality" shows, which are more like unscripted game shows, I've watched The Amazing Race, Survivor, and American Idol in the past. The only one I still watch is American Idol, and depending on who replaces Simon Cowell as judge, I might not watch that one anymore, either.

Then there are the documentary-type shows like Dirty Jobs, Mythbusters, and Deadliest Catch that catch my attention. I like seeing all the variety they have to offer.

With all the channels available now through cable or satellite, I can almost always find something to watch. Almost. It's hard to believe that even with all that, there are some times when there's nothing good on. Thank goodness I always have a book handy.

No comments: