Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Trap

When I first start exercising and trying to lose weight, it works. For a little while. Once I start seeing even the slightest of results, I fall into the trap of thinking that I can get by with a little extra snacking or a few more pieces of pizza. Then that every-now-and-then treat starts becoming "normal". The weight creeps back up and I wonder, Why is this happening?

A friend and I were talking about this last weekend. Something she said really hit me: "For me, it's a mental battle."

Exactly! I know what I need to do, but when it comes down to it, I argue with myself for what I want, not what I need.

One M&M won't hurt. Then that one becomes two and three and then a small handful.

One chip won't hurt. Then I've eaten a good portion of the bag. What's Lay's jingle? "No one can eat just one. No one can. No one can eat just one Lay's brand potato chip." And believe me, it's not limited to Lays.

I went to the gym yesterday for the first time in well over a month. With the busyness of summer and the loss of my regular routine, I just didn't make the time to go. I stood on the scales after my workout and was thankful that all the time away hadn't wreaked too much havoc on my weight: 166.5 lbs.

It was good to get back into a workout routine, though I'm going to change things up this time around. I'm still going to do my upper and lower body strength training, but I'm going to vary the walking and include some time on the bike and on the elliptical trainer. That's the easy part.

The hard part will be mentally keeping myself in check around food. I can't convince myself that it's okay to eat more food just because I've lost a few pounds. I can't snack on any random thing as I pass through the kitchen, especially when I'm not even hungry. I've already started cutting back my mealtime portions. Lunch is now half a sandwich again (instead of a whole one) with a huge pile of carrot sticks or some fruit on the side. I'll save the yogurt for my afternoon snack.

I think I can succeed at losing 25 pounds if I just don't fall into the trap again.

5 comments:

larsita said...

Yeah, I have been eating a lot lately, and not getting much exercise in. Sayid is confined to our house/yard until he finishes his puppy shots... in NINE DAYS! We are counting down the days until we can take him on walks/runs & to the park! Then I'll do better & hopefully drop five pounds or so!

Keith McGee said...

I know exactly what you mean. I have the same issues with food. One trick that I do is chew a lot of gum I always have gum in my mouth. My mouth has to be doing something, and I think I'm not going to snack on that I don't want to spit my gum out! It works for me.

Ashley said...

I may have to start chewing gum again. We always have it around because the boys like to chew a piece after lunch. I chew it every now and then, but I know if I have something in my mouth, I won't spit it out for something else. Thanks!

larsita said...

I DO THAT! I bought a pack of gum & it's sitting right in front of me right now. It helps distract me from all the junk food behind me!

Anonymous said...

I lost 3 pounds recently. Pops and I are both trying to lose some weight. I read in one of my weight loss books that if you will walk briskly for 5 minutes after eating, it will help to jump start your metabolism. I've been trying to do that some.